"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. " Psalm 19:14



Thursday, February 18, 2010

Names

Since I don't have any new information on the adoption front (bummer, but I'm sure that's the way it will be for a while) I was trying to decide what to write about. Then my friends in the adoption group began posting their children's names and why they picked them so I figured I would follow suit.

We decided to name our daughter Samara. We are pronouncing the middle part like AIR. (Hope that makes sense.) We picked the name one night while searching for girls names and finding out that in Hebrew the name meant protected by God. We loved it and knew it was perfect.

We're struggling with the middle name though. We intended to keep her Korean name as her middle name but I just can't decide if it flows. Samara Da In- hummm...

So tell me your thoughts, nothing negative about the first name because that's a done deal in my book. Leave a comment in order to share.

Oh, one more thing, in Korea the meaning of the name is important too. Da means abundant and In means benevolent. So keep that in mind.

5 comments:

  1. How often do we ever say one's entire name? I wouldn't worry about the flow which by the way flows very nicely. The middle name is more symbolic than anything else. If you like it and want it to be part of her, than I say use it as the middle name. We intend to use her Korean name as middle name on her birth certificate so that it's there for her to use as she wishes. She may want to initial her first and middle name and use her Korean name someday. A.M. Da Som Bassett. It sounds like rapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would keep her Korean name as her middle name.
    It doesn't really matter if it flows, unless you plan on saying/using the whole name a lot.
    Most of the time you will only being calling her by her first name or maybe a nickname.
    Our older daughter is named Joelee but picked up the nickname Lucy so she answers to Lucy...
    We thought we were going to call our adopted daughter from Korean Isabella-we love the name-but she looks like an Eun Jin, which was her given name so that is what she goes by even though her legal name is Isabella Eun Jin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say you should use her Korean name as her middle name! I think it is a great tribute to her and her heritage. :) I can't wait to hear more about her. I am praying your paperwork gets processed quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britt- I am so excited for you. I agree that the Korean name is really special. I also think Samara Dawn in beautiful. :) She is blessed, and I know you are too! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. this email address is jeffs, its allie. :)

    ReplyDelete