Then we decided to go to the N Seoul Tower. It's in Namsan Park. We walked to the park and took some stairs up a steep trail then went in the direction we though was the Tower. It ended up being the wrong direction but the park was so beautiful it didn't matter. Let me just interject here that their parks are nothing like ours. The park was more like a hiking trail on beautiful land. We have found out that flat places with grass are only for "decoration."
So then we finally found the tower. We took a cable car up to this point and it over looked the city. We didn't go up higher in the tower because once again it was so hazy you couldn't see much anyway. But here we found the spot I'd read about from my other adoptive friends, I don't know what it's officially called but I call it Love Locks.
We got two locks and put Samara's name on one and our names on another, then wrote her a message on a wooden leaf. Tradition is that when you put the lock on the fence it binds your love together forever. You can see the gold lock with her name on it- the silver one attached to it has our names. I hope one day we can go back and she can find the lock.
Then we went to the Namdaemun Market which was insane. Koreans must love to shop because the market was packed with people. And I keep hearing the later you go the busier it gets. I can't imagine. While we were there we tried these little things that looked like pancakes and the inside was filled with sugar and sesame seed (i think)- they were delicious. We also found a little stand making Turkish food which turned out to be very good. For those of you who know me well you'd be so proud of me for trying so many different, unique foods- and I have to say I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I have never had so many onions in my life though (probably because I normally pick them out) but there's just no way around it here and I have found them to be really sweet and great in the Korean barbeque. Side note- today I had clam soup (can you believe it) and I can't say it was my favorite but I ate it all. Ok so here's the busy market picture, and it doesn't even begin to do justice to how many people were there. This market had a lot of different products but especially food. There was a fish market, and many local farmers out selling their produce. Plus bags, bags and more bags.
Late last night a group from our agency got in town, they are doing a homeland tour with their older children mostly ages, 11- 15. So today, Sunday, we joined them. We went to the Blue House first which is like our white house- but for obvious reasons it has a differnet name.
Today was our first clear day. It was so nice to see blue sky and sunshine. Next, we went to Gyeongbok Palace and to the palace museum.
The family's we met through the AAC group are great. It's nice to see them 10 years or so down the road and see how the kids have adjusted and hear what they think about coming back to Korea. For the ones over 13 they have the option to do a birth parent search. I think tomorrow we get to go check out more of Eaterns facilities- like the unwed mothers home. The kids will have a chance to connect with their foster families and maybe a few will meet their birth parents.
After the palaces we went to Insa-dong. It's another market it we think it's the best one so far. It seemed to have the best prices and a lot of variety, I found the mulberry paper that I had been looking for. However, if you want bags and clothes than Namdeamun is the place to go.
Well, that's it for now- tomorrow is our official "gotta day." At 4pm we will see Samara again and this time we take her with us!!!!!

We miss you!! what an amazing once in a life time opportunity for you both ! It sounds like your having an incredible time taking all of Korea in! We can't wait to talk to you & see lots of pictures!!!
ReplyDeleteMost important----- we can't wait to meet Samara. Love mom
Today's the day you come home as a family of 5! You are in our prayers. We are so excited for you!!
ReplyDelete